With exams just around the corner, you need your brain to be on its top game. Memorising your entire syllabus is a daunting task and you’ll need all the help you can get.
Here are some techniques that will help you improve your memory exponentially.
Changes you can Make in Yourself
- Get Rest: There is a reason why it is said that a person needs at least 8 hours of sleep. Not getting enough sleep can overwork your nerves in the brain making it difficult for you to think straight to remember information. It is advised to take short power naps in between memorising a large amount of information as if it helps you retain more information.
Eat Healthily: Even though junk food is tempting and difficult to avoid, food high in cholesterol not slows your brain functions making it difficult to memorise things. Diets rich in healthy fats which consist mostly of vegetables and fruit, olive oil, seafood, and nuts improves memory.
- Exercise Regularly: Everything in your body is correlated with each other. Staying fit helps you stay active physically and mentally by increasing the flow of oxygen in your body which is imperial for brain function.
Some Basic Memorising Techniques
- The Theory of Correlation: Try correlating or linking your study material to the basic actions you do in your daily lives and adding an image or action related to it.
- Plot a Scenario: Similar to the first technique you have to link all your actions into a story which makes it much easier to remember things.
- Indulge your Senses: It is seen that the brain remembers something more accurately when your senses are involved. For example, think about a place you went to for a vacation like a carnival, do you remember the sound of happy hollering coming from people enjoying the rides, the tempting smell of food from the food trucks or the bright lights? That is because when you experience something your senses help you remember how it felt in detail. Try imagining information linking them with your senses.
The Memory Palace Method
This is a tried and tested method that with practice helps you remember a large amount of information without the difficulty of mugging it up. This is how this technique works:
- Bring a room in your mind that is very familiar to you. It can be your bedroom, living room or kitchen.
- Number different corners of this room in your mind from numbers 1-8 marking the floor as number 9 and ceiling as number 10. Imagine what all objects or furniture is in this room and their exact location to these numbers.
- Place the information you need to memorise on these objects in the place of the numbers. For example, if it’s you are in your living room and your number 1 point is near your door you can imagine a piece of information on the doormat.
- The key is to correlate the image of the objects with keywords of information you need to memorise so it can jog your memory to remember the whole material.
- You should try to place these keywords in funny or absurd situations which makes it easier to remember.
- Add or remove any amount of information you need.
Blueprint helps you fully exploit your potential to make sure that you get the maximum marks with all the study material you need. To know more visit us at https://blueprinteducation.co.in/
- Written by Nitin Rastogi at our Meerut Headquarter